The members of this committee alert the congregation to social issues and encourage ACTION.
We are busy! Nearly every month of the year, we are doing something to help out with various projects in our wider community:
- Deliver Meals on Wheels in Mount Vernon through Southeast Linn Community Center (SELCC) two times per year (April and September).
- Provide volunteers at the Sunday Evening Meals Program at First Presbyterian Church in downtown Cedar Rapids the first Sunday of the even months (February, April, June, August, October, December).
- Host an annual community blood drive in June.
- Donate backpacks and school supplies for Lisbon and Mt. Vernon elementary students through SELCC during the summer.
- Coordinate and raise funds for our community’s CROP walk the first or second Sunday in October.
- Make care packages of toiletry and other items for guests at Waypoint Services in Cedar Rapids at the Advent Festival in late November or early December.
- Provide clothing, toys and gift cards for families in need through SELCC’s Adopt a Family program.
- Host and provide volunteers for Help-Portraits, a worldwide event in which photographers donate their time, equipment and expertise to provide photos for individuals and families in need during the holidays.
We financially support Southeast Linn Community Center in Lisbon; Matthew 25 Ministries, Iowa Legal Aid, Willis Dady Homeless Services, and the Catherine McAuley Center in Cedar Rapids, and the Center for Worker Justice in Johnson County.